Monday, February 22, 2010

Lettuce in My Book Bag

Grocery shopping without a car is sometimes great. I like getting out my burlap, ladybug-graphiced, Northern Ireland Tesco bags, walking to Rosauers and filling them with groceries. The problem, occasionally, is that I am over-eager in my grocery shopping, and I cram so much stuff in them that I can hardly carry them back. Especially fruit. I do love my fruit.

This method of shopping makes me feel like I am French. Apparently, that's how they do it over there. So I've heard.

Minus the Tesco bags, of course.

On Saturday, I became especially inspired (because the day was so gorgeous), and I decided to walk to Winco and spend my five remaining dollars of grocery money on apples and tangelos and cucumbers. When I was waiting in line to pay, the nice man behind me told me go ahead, because I had only my four bags of produce (and a gummy Easter Bunny sucker), and he had a cart full of ground beef and Corona and Raisin Bran.

I hadn't planned far enough ahead to bring my Tesco bags (it does require some planning), so I stuffed all my produce in my book bag, rather than take the plastic bags (I'm earth-friendly! See?). It all fit, except for the romaine. So, the head of lettuce bobbed happily over the rim of my bag all they way back to my house, constantly on the verge of falling out but never quite doing it.

It was a nice way to spend a Saturday morning.

1 comment: